Thursday, March 31, 2011

Not All Sandwiches Are The Same...

OK...so it is not so easy to take the family to Navy Pier and come up with a solid lunch...especially when in training. So after about an hour and a half of the Children's Museum my daughter was getting quite tired...and all of my kids were getting hungry. So we set off to the food court. My wife put me in charge of finding some healthy adult food with "lots of veggies." Like that is easy to find in a food court!

I analyzed the offerings: Starbucks? Out. Gyros? Tasty...but no veggies. Out. All American Hot Dog? My mouth watered at the selection, but I would be served just as well by eating a stick of deep fried butter. Out. Then there was Carnelli's Deli. The selection looked good, with several offerings of chicken breast and fresh garden greens. I ordered three different choices:


1. Grand Ave. - chicken breast with provolone and pesto
2. The Patch - chicken breast with provolone and turkey bacon
3. Oakley St. - chicken breast with mozzarella and basil

I handed out the sandwiches and decided to keep The Patch for myself. The thought of turkey bacon was compelling. Here is what it looked like:

Trust me, it looks better than it tasted. Though the turkey bacon had a smokey flavor that helped out the overall sandwich, the chicken breast must have been from one of the skinniest birds that ever lived! There were two "chicken breast" slices of about 1 millimeter each. Though there was a bit of bagged grocery store lettuce on the sandwich, there were no tomatoes and the whole sandwich seemed anemic at best. And the price was over $6! There is no doubt that I am cheap...but I think most people would be disappointed with this value for price ratio!!

Sometimes it is better to just bring your own food from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment